Old December 19th 05, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another reason to fly yourself

Delta is one of a select few that now charges for same-day standby..
One other is ATA. It's a stupid policy that only serves to alienate the
customer - I now will spend the extra $50 with another carrier if given
the choice, since getting home a few hours early is always a desirable
action...

"Marty from Florida" marty@-x-x-x- remove -x-x- worth.net wrote in
:

I flew commercial from West Palm Beach to Kansas City MO a few months
ago. Got pulled aside for a random search, which was pretty stupid. I
could have knitted a knife with my hair and stabbed the person beside
me with it. The TSA is truly nuts, reflecting it's association with
the newly formed office of remarkably extreme paranoia (Homeland
Security). They need to really decide if a $ 450,000 Cirrus Sr-22 can
do as much damage as a $ 39.00/day Uhaul truck. I digress ...

All things considered, it took a huge amount of time messing around
with TSA nonsense, checking in and out, waiting in Atlanta for a 2.3
hour connection, etc. I could have walked there. I feel great sorrow
for today's airlines (what's left of them). The former arrogance of
large companies such as Eastern Airlines has certainly caught up with
American and Delta. They now treat their clients as mini cash-cows.
It's not pretty. I tried to get an earlier flight that was leaving in
minutes rather than the 2.3 hours and was told to pony up cash. What

way to treat a customer. The only reason I had to wait 2.3 hours is
because of Delta's schedule that put me on the plane.

Anything under 7 or 8 hundred miles and I'll just fly myself. Better
food, much more fun, quicker when you add up all the time wasting.
Marty from Rainy Palm Beach Florida

wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning wrote:
: Right. There are lots of good reasons to fly yourself, but cost
: isn't one of them. Not by a long shot.

As far as *direct* operating costs, it's usually cheaper to fly
yourself

if
it's within 500nm. You know... about the same range as it's
potentially

feasible to
drive...

The indirect expenses and easily ignored as the fixed expenses of

the
"hobby."
Heh...

-Cory

*** * Cory Papenfuss
* * Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate student
* * Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
*

***