Old August 4th 03, 09:02 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks for the valuable lesson, Jim. I'll be going down that road someday,
and it'll be good to remember...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

"JimC" wrote in message
.. .
Okay, I just found a way to avoid the silly mistake that I made. LPAero
will mail to you, for free, small pieces of window material so that you

can
compare with your current installation and determine best match.

At my next flight physical I'll have to let the AME know what great 20/20
hindsight I have!

JimC

"JimC" wrote in message
I finally got around to dealing with the pilot side window in my '79
Warrior. The window has had a crack in it from the day I bought it,

which
was about 15 months ago, and I've grown tired of looking at it. The

previous
owner had attempted to retrieve something from inside the plane by

reaching
through the storm window opening and pushed a little too much, creating
nearly a 1 inch crack in the upper forward corner. I'd always planned

put in a new one and, now that I have the trim out for re-coloring, I
decided it was a convenient time to take care of the glass.

When ordering the new window I made an assumption ( now known to be a

bad
assumption ) that the glass in my plane was clear. I got as far as

removing
the old window and laying the new one next to it to compare, checking to

see
if the new one would need any edges trimmed before I realized that my

old
glass has a light gray tint. ARRRRRG *&$%#!.

LESSON - Don't assume glass tint. Find a way to check it before

ordering
new. The light gray of old isn't that noticeable when viewed in the

plane.

I can only hope that the gray tint Plexiglas made today matches the old
stuff as I'm off to get another window. Looks like E-bay for the new

clear
one. I can't return it because I bought the main glass and storm window
separately and then assembled them. Heck, that's the only part of the

new
glass that has even had the protective plastic removed.

I also hope there won't be any more lessons worth sharing by the time I

get
this completed !

JimC