Old March 19th 04, 01:35 AM
Jim Burt

I was wrong. I checked with Bell and they will indeed field a new
articulated rotor. The design gives superior CG range compared to the
limited flapping of the 430 type head.

"Jim Burt" wrote in message
Bob M wrote:

Thanks for the info. You can see that they are virtual clones. Still
very creative and extremely simple. I must have misread the article, I
thought that it said that they intended to design a brand new
articulated rotor. I can't understand why when like you said they have
a BMR from the 430 that they could retrofit.

They may very well intend to design a new articulated rotor, but I doubt

it.
The current rotor is semi-articulated witha composite yoke. They may just
try to scale it up, but the stacked hub bearingless rotor from the 430 is

mature technology now with the scaled up versions implemented on the UH-1Y
and AH-1Z. On the other hand, no one has actually built a yoke like that
for a mast as skinny as the one on the 427. Still, once it's implemented
and successful in practice, look to see it ported to the 407 -- although
that would necessitate redundant hydraulics for the 407. Great ship, if

it
were just a little easier boost off.