Old December 23rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default AoA keep it going!

Nyal Williams wrote:
Eric,

I should have been more precise in my comment. AoA,
as shown by a piece of yarn will be much quicker than
an ASI. The ASI will respond quickly, as you say,
but it will not arrive at a steady-state indication
for a few moments if the AoA change is considerable
and abrupt.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. Is the lag you are talking about the time
it takes for the airspeed indication to become steady after you change
the glider's attitude from one steady attitude to another steady
attitude; i.e., from one AOA to another AOA?

If that's what you mean, then I agree: it will take a few moments for
the glider's airspeed to change to the new value.

What I thought you meant was the ASI (airspeed INDICATOR) reacts slowly.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org