Old March 5th 04, 05:28 AM
Jim Yanik

"David E. Powell" wrote in
s.com:

"Paul F Austin" wrote in message
. ..

The other obvious limitation is the
ease with which angry strangers could punch holes in them.

True, but winds would be more of a concern to me, though that seems a
problem in transiting from ground to high altitude, going through the
atmospheric layers. Getting to 70,000 ft. is necessary to engage them,
and even back over the Mediterranean Sea an airship at that altitude
can see a long way, depending on how good the sensors are. (And, of
course, those monitoring and coordinating the data.) Not to mention
that even a large gas bag could be somewhat stealthy, if the radar
waves pass right through.....

DEP

Seems to me that many SAMs could reach that altitude.Even old SA-2s.

and several ME states have Mig-25's that can reach that altitude,IIRC.

I wonder if the design is a rigid-frame airship?(considering the size)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net