Old January 17th 18, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Tying down a fiber glass ship.

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 10:09:23 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Don’t have a hangar, so planning on tying down the glider, a standard cirrus, during the weekend. Has any one done this consistently. How bad did the gel coat deteriorate; any tips?

I find using covers is a little easier on me than derigging (18m motor ventus). Covers are fast to remove. I use a wing saddle on each wing, with trestles pressing up under each wing close by, and straps pulling the wings down on to the trestles. I'm now at Minden, and my glider is outside all summer. It was psychologically hard to leave the glider outside initially, but there have been no problems, and I feel the covers are perfect sun protection.