Old January 13th 19, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 9:01:04 PM UTC-8, Charles Longley wrote:
Darryl Ramm I am just curious what exactly are your qualifications to expound so expertly on avionics?

Avionics? In general? None at all.

But transponders and ADS-B and FLARM... uh background in microwave electronics research (some related tech there actually made it into radar systems). Understand how stuff works... read RTCA standards, vendor doc etc.. Interest in the adoption of transponders in gliders for safety, active in that along with many other in CA/NV, flying at Minden during the ASG-29/Hawker midair, got involved in trying to stop the pro-UAT insanity following the post midair push for UAT adoption. Worked with the Southeast Aerospace, the initial Trig distributors in the USA to get Trig transponders available to glider market resellers. Was vocal with FLARM entering the USA that the device with 1090ES In support should be what is sold, some others did mange to sneak though. Had a friend killed in a glider midair before we had FLARM in the USA. Got to know the FLARM folks and have provided some advice to them, but absolutely nothing like the herculean work that Dave Nadler did to get PowerFLARM working in the USA. Or that say Rex Mayes did to get PowerFLARM rentals to happen. Worked with different organizations on things related to glider midair and NMAC events. Helped FLARM and others with advice involved with their input to the development of TABS/TSO-C199. Provided input to Soaring Association of Canada on ADS-B technology directions in Canada. Worked to get Trig to exhibit and talk at the last SSA convention. Poke around in Stratux source code, write my own software utilities to play with stuff. Worked with Trig and Peregrine systems to get the Peregrine TN70 STC available for use in glider installs (Wings and Wheels really helped push there as well). And have helped with many TN72 and a few TN70 installs, given advice to A&Ps doing installs, helped explain things like TABS to FSDO staff etc.. helped several owners reply to FAA ADS-B non-compliance letters. Given lots of talk on transponders and ASD-B stuff to the glider community. Some parts of Cumulus Soaring web content on transponders were written by me and Eric Greenwell. Parts of Craggy Aero's web page for setting up the TN72 was written by me. In my silicon valley day job occasionally get called for input on aerospace/tech investments some that overlap with this stuff. Enough for now.. I need to go find an old transponder presentation for folks in Germany who want to use it for training...