Old April 15th 05, 01:29 PM

Mitty wrote:

On 4/14/2005 6:48 PM, wrote the following:
How were you vectored into the hold if you did not hold?

We were shooting practice approaches in IMC and I flew a low approach at Anoka
(ANE) about 5 miles to the east, then asked for the hold since I wanted it to
update currency.

It was a while back, but I'm pretty sure the instructions were along the line
of: "Proceed direct Gopher and hold as published at 3000, expect further
clearance at xx:xx Zulu." 3000 seems to be minimum vectoring altitude in that area.

While holding, probably during the first full time around, Approach had me climb
to 4000 so he could run someone in under me. I did that. When I told him I was
ready to go he cleared me for the approach. I then asked for another turn in
the hold to lose altitude (FAF crossing is 2500), which was approved.

Sounds like vectors to final to me, in which case you are required to go straight-in
unless you request the procedure turn and are given an amended clearance.

That holding pattern could also be used for timed approaches, in which case you
would also be expected to proceed straight in once cleared for the approach.

Finally, let's say you missed the approach and park in that pattern until the
weather improves. Because it is a pattern that is lined up correctly and not more
than 300 feet higher than the FAF altitude, you can go straight-in once cleared for
the approach.

Sounds reasonable. Is that printed somewhere?

The AIM discusses timed approaches, and shows a holding pattern like that one. When
straight-in from such holding patterns was not authorized, IAPs like that used to have a
note "Final Approach from XYZ holding pattern not authorized." But, the procedures folks
were told to stop using that note and make the patterns useable for such approaches.

If you want it in writing you should contact your regional FAA Flight Procedures Office
for clarification. Many things are imperfect with the FAA.