Old April 15th 04, 07:12 PM
Mike Kanze

John,

They never worked on Lex for my initial A-6 qual...

Flying the needles reminds me of the A-6A's AN/ASQ-61 Landing Mode program.
Think of an ILS-type approach displayed through VDI symbology and driven by
ever-meandering velocities from the "A's" squirrelly AN/ASN-31 inertial, and
you'll get the idea.

We tried it one VMC night while approaching runway 24 at Whidbey. Until
that experience I never knew that the Earth rotated about Dugualla Bay. g

On the other hand, when the Q-61 and the inertial were both running "tight,"
Landing Mode was very useful for mining.

--
Mike Kanze

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction."

- Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, Royal Irish Battle Group, to his troops on
the eve of Operation Iraqi Freedom

"John R Weiss" wrote in message
"Pechs1" wrote...
What's an 'ILS'...needles were for Nancys.....

True...

They never worked on Lex for my initial A-6 qual...

The Combat Buckeye and TraCom Scooters didn't have them, either.