Old January 5th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Newbie holding questions

But if no delay is expected and you have a radio failure
without an EFC, just how long are you expected to hold?

If you are given a clearance to hold w/o an EFC there is
still some delay expected, otherwise ATC would not issue a
hold. Make them say how much delay or give an EFC/EAC time
or you'll be holding until the fuel runs out. Maybe the
book does not require ATC to issue a time, but my sense of
self-preservation wants to know.

If I'm told to expect a hold, perhaps there are weather
delays or even a traffic situation [maybe a NORDO ahead]
I'll ask for a reduced speed, perhaps I filed 260 KTAS and
can slow to 200-220 KTAS and avoid holding and still give
them time.

If I have requested a hold for training, I'll tell them I
want 3 or four turns and I'll try to do it away from the FAF
to ease the load on the system.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
message
ink.net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

| An EFC should always be part of a hold clearance, if
they