Old January 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Newbie holding questions

"A Lieberman" wrote in message

If no delay is expected, then why be put in the hold in the first place?

It's a tool of nonradar separation, it's called a "paper stop". Let's say
two aircraft are estimated to cross at a fix eight minutes apart. Minimum
separation is ten minutes, so some action must be taken. The later aircraft
is issued a hold prior to the common fix. Since the first aircraft is
expected to pass the common fix before the second aircraft reaches the
holding fix no delay is expected and no EFC is issued.

If no EFC and radios go belly up while in IMC, when would you know to
leave
the hold?

Without an EFC I wouldn't enter the hold. It's a moot point anyway,
whatever caused my comm radios to go belly up will affect my nav radios the
same way and I won't be able to identify the holding fix.