Old February 6th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Navdata currency question

wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have to make an IFR flight on or about the 15th of february. My plane
has a garmin GNS430 in it, and the navdata is several years out-of-date.
The GPS is also reporting navdata errors, so I need to get a new card. I'm
going to buy a Jepp one-time update.

The current Jepp cycle expires the 17th and the next card becomes
effective the 18th. My question is -- can I buy the newer card (which
becomes effective the 18th) and use it on the 15th, BEFORE the effective
date on the card.

This has been discussed here before. Many folks have been putting cards in
that are not yet reached their effective date and I don't think anyone
reported seeing any issues. However, it *is* possible that a fix and/or an
approach will have changed between cycles to cause an issue. If the trip
will not span across the effective date, then I'd probably use the current
cycle so you'll be "legal" for the trip. Are you planning on making another
IFR trip in the 28 days after this trip?

With the Garmin 430, you'll have the VOR and localizer-based nav capability
available in case you do use the future cycle and do see an error. Just make
sure you are ready to switch over from GPS in the event of an error.

Good Luck,

Marco

http://www.usenet.com