Old March 29th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default How do controllers coordinate clearances through sectors?

On Mar 28, 9:02 pm, Newps wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Sorry if I sound dumb but I really have no idea how this works. So,
when the controller working the San Jose arrivals issued me a direct
clearance, I know he spoke with the next controller (who was working
Stockton area), but the updated clearance also affected the controller
working south of Sacramento, etc.

Yes. The strip would be updated by whichever controller has control of
the flight plan.

Since my updated clearance affected

this Sacramento controller too (since it affects my route through his
airspace), doesn't he need to be in on the updated clearance as well??

No. He takes what is given to him. He has a 30 minute advance notice
of arrivals. If there's something he doesn't like he can call the
sector where the airplane will come from and slap on a restriction.

Wow, I can really see how the "Direct" clearance can really mess stuff
up. I guess when it was all airways it was pretty easy because you
always knew where planes would come from and where the conflicts would
happen.

-Robert