Old August 24th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BeechSundowner

Default Emergency Descents with ATC COMS - Video

On Aug 23, 8:13*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"BeechSundowner" wrote in message

On Aug 23, 5:21 pm, John Smith wrote:
a wrote:
I still maintain the fastest way down is a strong slip.

Just curious A,

What's the POH say for emergency descent speeds for the Mooney?

I know for sure, that I cannot do 152 knots (POH says 152 for
emergency descents) doing a slip in my Sundowner with all that drag.
I couldn't even get to VNE nose down within my own safe parameters
without bank.

Again, the purpose of this exercise for me was emergency descent for
collision avoidance. *I wanted to get a feel for what the plane would
do under non emergency situations and it was a huge lesson learned for
me.

Be carefull up there!

I have been told several times that the the vertical tail is the weak link
on most aircraft--not just the Airbus 320--and that the maximum speed
permissible for full rudder deflection is frequently less than the stated
"maneuvering speed.

Assuming the above is true, I have no idea how to determine the maximum
speed for full rudder deflection.

Peter

Agree Peter,

I would never hang any parts of the plane outside the white arc :-)))
much less do a slip for emergency descent..

I learned from this exercise that I can't even get to VNE without
bank without an excessive amount of forward pressure on the yoke. I
am a believer in NOT forcing the plane to doing something it won't
do. Bank sure took care of that problem :-))