Old October 23rd 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R[_1_]

Default For MXSMANIC: Flight Simulator Gear?

Jay,

You have to checkout this video it is a flight sim video showing what
you can do if you upgrade your sim.
His sim has all the latest gadgets and upgrades that will give you the most
realistic look and feel.
He also has some suggestions on the YouTube.com site that will
help make your sim out of this world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89Hk...e=user&search=

Here is partial list of add-ons he uses:
-Ground Environment Pro
-Ultimate Terrain Europe
-Active Sky 6
-Mega Airport Frankfurt
-PMDG 737-800

David - KGYH

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
As long as we now have a certified MS Flight Simulator expert in-group,
with MXSMANIC, I may as well ask some sim advice...

Every Tuesday night we have "Movie Night" at the inn, where we show
free aviation movies in our theater. The theater has a 104" screen,
with a high-def projector hooked up to DVD/VHS -- and a PC.

Before (and, sometimes, after) the movie, we hold flight simulator
sessions, using both MS Flight Sim and X-Plane. This is a lot of fun
(that big screen is WAY cool for sim flying!), but the joystick
generates a significant number of "complaints" about how unrealistic
the controls are. And I agree.

Bottom line: Flying a Skylane with a joystick is just....wrong.

Sooooo...I've purchased the CH brand of yoke/throttles and rudder
pedals, all of which should be delivered early this week. These will
go a long ways toward making the flight experience a LOT more
realistic, but getting the controls into the correct ergonomic position
for users will be difficult in the theater, soooo:

See: http://www.avshop.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6531

I tested this unique rig at Oshkosh this year, and found it to be
PERFECT for the task, and I'm thinking about either purchasing one or
having my A&P weld up something similar. Before I go to this extreme,
however, (well, what *I* think is extreme) how do YOU "fly" your sim
set up? What, in your opinion, is the best cockpit set up for
"piloting" a sim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA