View Single Post
Old November 5th 17, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster

Default ASW 20 Handling Issues?

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 12:55:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The ASW 20 seems to have a reputation for bad behavior in some configurations. Is this reputation deserved or overblown? What has been the experience of those who have owned and flown the glider? Are some variants of the 20 better or worse in terms of handling characteristics?

Tom A

Second what the others have said about spins with the CG too far back. I have 20a serial #18. With full thermalling flap (actually hardly ever needed).. Mine will drop a wing upon stall. Just a normal wing drop that can be countered with forward stick and a bit of opposite rudder. Essentially identical behavior to my 301 Libelle with full positive flap. So, nothing abnormal for early high performance gliders.

After slipping my 301 to landings for the last 20 years, I love the 20's glide path control. Full landing flaps and full divebrakes make for parachute steep landings. However, landing flaps on the 20a can lead to trouble for the incautious. One has to be absolutely sure of having the landing site made, especially in full landing flap. Not advisable to move the landing flap handle once established on short final. Coming out of full flap will cause the glider to drop in hard, or worse, lead to a stall/spin if one pulls back to try to stop the fall.