Old June 8th 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Cherokee 140 Oil Temp Creeping Up

Mike Spera wrote:
I have owned this Cherokee 140 since 1994. I have logged over 1000 hours
in it through the original and the now installed overhauled engine. Oil
temps were usually at 180 degrees (both engines)when OATs were between
50-80 degrees or so. It would read 1 needle mark higher when it got to
be 95+ outside. In the last 150 hours or so, it has been drifting up and
is now reading about 2 needle marks above 180 degrees (200 degrees or
so?). I replaced the oil cooler because of age. It was cheaper to
replace it with a new PMA'd unit than to have it checked/cleaned. I
swapped the Vernatherm. No difference. Do the gauges/senders drift off
with age. I am going to test the sender/gauge with hot water and a
thermometer.

Once it gets to that mark, it seems to stabilize.

Baffles are all in good shape.

What else causes temps to drift high? I know that shifting main bearings
can cause this, but I doubt the engine would continue to operate for
this long if this were the case. I do wonder though because the cold oil
pressure is right at redline on takeoff. After 5 minutes it goes back
down into the middle of the green.

Thoughts/theories?

Thanks,
Mike

My oil temp always read low and I took the aircraft temp gage probe and
a multimeter that I had that had a temp probe and heated a small tin can
of oil to 180F, put both probes in the oil, and then marked the aircraft
gage so I would know exactly where 180F was. The O-360 oil was reading
lower than 180 always.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP