Old August 23rd 04, 07:03 AM
John Keeney

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Scott
MacEachern writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message

Personal beneificiary of this, since we got a truckload of 84mm rounds
and sort-of-orders not to return any...

How's your hearing now, anyway?

Poor.

Probably more to do with too many 7.62mm blank and occasional
thunderflashes indoors with no hearing protection, than with a few 84mm
rounds fired while wearing ear defenders over ear plugs.

(Not sure if hearing protection is now mandated for FIBUA/MOUT, but that
could get _loud_ in a hurry)

I can attest to how loud 7.62 blank is during MOUT training (think of firing
inside of small rooms of multi-story block building with bare walls &
floors).
I expended the better part of a thousand rounds out of an M-14 last week
in just those circumstances.
The M-14 doesn't even touch the noise generated by the breaching charges,
SAWs and flash-bangs that are common in the MOUT environment. If you
did much MOUT stuff with out at least your fingers growing out of your
ears I'm surprised your hearing is as good as "poor".
All that being said, well, expect a lot of bad hearing in the years to come.