Old August 7th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
Gattman[_2_]

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Do me a favor Gattman. What is the weight of the most effeicent battery
that could power an automobile at highway speed and how long will it do so
and how long to recharge?

Well, if I tried to answer that I'd sound like mx. I don't know what the
"most efficient" battery is for that purpose. It's a hell of a lot heavier
than the 250-250 pound machines I worked with. I think 4-6 SLAs--possibly
the least efficient--would pull a vehicle, but I doubt it would make highway
speed and if if it did it wouldn't be for more than a few minutes. Charge
time for each battery would probably be a couple of hours, maybe longer.

I bet it would weigh a hell of a lot more than a Rotax. Internal combustion
is still the most bang for the buck this side of nuclear.

I think the most realistic use of an electric motor in an aircraft would be
in the context of something like a glider, for maintaining altitude or
finding a thermal or just getting home. It would be fun to fly an
ultralight around the pattern under electrical power, but I wouldn't stray
very far.

-c