Old March 2nd 04, 03:08 AM

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:24:25 GMT, john smith wrote:

snip

We have the Stromberg without the mixture control.
The Bendix carbs with the mixture control are hard to find (lots of
people looking for them). The AI said they don't really do that much for
you on the ground.

The "mixture control" is nothing more than an adjustable bowl vent.
Only flown behind a couple of them, didn't notice any big difference
between the knob being in or out.

I would check the primer pump for leaks, and verify that the seat
height is set correctly. Not sure how much difference it makes, but
with these carbs I've always dummied up the carb install (placing it
at the same height in relation to the fuel in the airplane) to shim
the seat.

I'm assuming that you've already had the Delrin needle/float weight
installed.

Always wanted to drive one with the MS carb on it, never had the
opportunity.

OT... He did say that he, too, noticed better performance from 100LL
than from autofuel.He also said that he prefers to fly his Champ with a
mixture of autofuel and 100LL.

The one I learned to fly in was operated on a mixture of 80, 100LL,
and TCP. Was kinda hard to tell what "color" the plugs were, it tended
to swill engine oil.

TC