Old May 7th 05, 01:53 PM
Blueskies

"Tony" wrote in message oups.com...
Ok, brother flyers, cards on the table here. I always do a run-up
before taking the active (my Mooney only sees pavement, so gravel
damage isn't a serious consideration) as do I think most of you. I'm a
M20J jock. I have, in some 3000 hours, returned to base after taxing
out only about 4 times. Once, in a normally inducted Mooney Ranger the
carb heat wire broke during that test (quite a surprise when you pull
out a foot of wire!), a couple of time because a radio wasn't working,
once because a bank of spark plugs weren't firing. Never had to come
back because the prop didn't cycle correctly.

I am NOT saying don't cycle the prop! I am wondering what failure modes
you guys have experienced during run up.

I've had in flight mag bank failures, vacuum pump failures, alternator,
radio, and common sense failures too. All but the last lead to a
landing at the nearest suitable airport (ever notice how often a
failure is in solid IFR?). The common sense failure modes did not
result in landing at the nearest airport or turning around, but they
should have.

OK, I've shown you mine. Let's see yours.

The reason for cycling the prop is to pump the cold oil out and move in the warmed oil. If the oil stayed warm from the
previous flight then there is no valid reason to cycle it again.

The MAG check is valid before every takeoff following a restart. Any number of things could have happened during the
last flight that would be revealed with this simple check....