Old July 19th 04, 03:55 PM
Jim Burns

LOL naw, you didn't cut me off, but it sure made me wonder if he'd
forgotten me when he gave Mary a squawk code before he gave me one. And I
was shocked that he never gave either of us traffic alerts, after all we
must have been pretty close to one another, both inbound from the north. At
one point I noticed that Mary reported the same distance out as our GPS was
indicating.

What's funny is that was the second time in as many days that I had to
circle before landing. When we came into Hastings they had just released
jumpers over the airport and Grand Rapids approach vectored and 360'd me for
awhile until the jump plane reported "jumpers on the ground". After a 3
hour trip, it took a little explaining to my kids why we couldn't land, but
then they saw the jumpers and agreed that we really didn't want to pick up
any hitch hikers on the way down!

Totally agree on the lack of info on the airplanes, they need to do some
work in that area. Even the ones with the touch screen presentations (which
were nice) need some short descriptive signage for those who don't want to
sit through the video presentation.

The 4-D movie was pretty good, but could be improved by adding more
historical facts and figures describing the B17.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsDPKc.114882$JR4.62182@attbi_s54...
So that was YOU that we cut off in the pattern? :-)

Well, not exactly, but I remember saying to Mary "I'll bet that guy isn't
happy that he let *you* in right away." I was surprised that Kalamazoo

was
so busy!

Man, you shoulda knocked me on the shoulder, or something. We surmised

that
my sister, who had driven in, was with my son over in the new building, so
we made a bee-line over there without waiting. We eventually did see the
"old" building, which I agree is "better" for pilots.

My non-flying sister commented that the new displays, while beautifully
done, were almost completely devoid of any information. If I wasn't there
to explain everything to her, she would not have known ANYTHING about the
aircraft on display. They seriously need to add some narrative

descriptions
at each aircraft, and I told the folks at the museum as much. (They

agreed,
by the way...)

See you next time!
--