Old December 14th 03, 03:58 AM

(Mark) wrote:

I've been asked this questions a lot about a Private Pilots license.
My reply has always been to ask the person if they needed a Kidney
transplant would they shop around for the cheapest doctor? Flying is
not like buying a car where you try to get the cheapest price
possible. Your life as well as your passengers are in your hands.
I've seen a lot of instructors I wouldn't even fly with let alone have
them teach me anything.

Well, your point is only sort of clear. In general, the old addage
"You get what you pay for" is usually pretty true, however, not
always. Some flight schools are overpriced and others are
underpriced. Just because some guy charges $150/hr doesn't
necessarilly mean that he knows less than the guy charging $250/hr.

As best as I can tell, the largest percentage of the helicopter
training hour is due to the expense of the helicopter and not the
instructor. The cost of the helicopter may vary significantly from
school to school.

Some schools have fixed lease expenses and others own their
helicopters. Some have their own A&P guys so they don't have to send
it out in order to have the spark plugs changed. Some buy parts
straight from Robinson, and some get on ebay and look for used parts
that are still good. All of these things add up.

And finally, some schools that cut their costs will pass those savings
on to the student and others will put it in their pockets.

When considering becoming a pilot, save up the money needed to get the
license BEFORE you start training. Then set aside an allowance each
month towards flying. Keep in mind that the hours the FAA says you
need to stay current is no where close to what you need to be safe. I
would guess 6 hours a month is the least amount you want to fly. Can
you afford this?

I have my own Rotorway in my garage. Rotorway said that they will
train me for $175/hr, however, I would rather find something closer to
where I live and then go to Rotorway for the transition. There are
two local R22 helischools and both are about $200/hr, but I think I
can do better. Just the cost of the airport is another factor. The
airports don't give the schools free rent. Some school operating in
the middle of a cow pasture is probably cheaper and can still fly out
of the same airports.

As far as flying once I have my license, this will be done mostly in
my own helicopter. I had not heard that there is a minimum number of
hours a month that one must fly in order to keep a heli license. This
is new to me.

Now, if you say you want to fly for a living then getting the cheapest
instruction will hamper you when competing for a job. As in most
things in life, you get what you pay for.

At this time, all I want to do is fly the thing for leisure. I don't
have any asparations of becoming a a commercial guy.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm