Old May 27th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

Tell you what I suggest for the futu Lay hands on enough rubber or soft
plastic to cover the area of the filler with a good margin around it, and
cut out a circle just a tad larger than the filler opening. Tell the
lineboy to put it in place before inserting the nozzle.

The most damage I've ever had inflicted by a lineman was due to a guy using
one of those rubber mats.

It had been "stored" in the gravel adjacent to the fuel pump, and
(unbeknownst to him) the underside had become caked with sand and small
stones. That sand- and rock-paper was ground into the paint by the weight
of the line-guy's arm and the edge of the fuel filler spout.

It seems silly to have to say it, but if your FBO uses a rubber mat make
sure they brush off the loose stuff before laying it on your wing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA