Old January 20th 05, 04:26 AM
Pete Brown

BT:

BTIZ wrote:
Pete.. read 61.113(a) again please... it says private pilots may not act as
PIC nor be Compensated except as in b through g...

so... para G exempts him from the PIC limitation, but not from the
compensation.

BT

hmmm. ...you caused me to reread this for the umpteenth time.

Section 61.113: Private pilot privileges and limitations:
Pilot in command.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (g) of this
section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may
act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying
passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may
that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in
command of an aircraft.

We agree on (a).. Pvt. pilot can not act as PIC in acft
carrying passengers or property for hire or otherwise act as
PIC except as provided...

61.113(g) A private pilot who meets the requirements of
§61.69 may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft towing a
glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.

I am still stuck on the fact that if the FAA meant that a
Pvt. pilot could tow per 61.69 but that that he could not be
compensated, there would have been no reason to add (g).
61.69 would permit towing by a Pvt. pilot and 61.113(a)
would have denied compensation for towing by a Pvt. pilot.
End of subject.

But they didn't write it that way. They added (g) as an
exception to 61.113(a) which refers only to the prohibitions
against acting as PIC when carrying passengers or property
for hire or otherwise operating an aircraft as PIC.

Don't you just love these easy to understand regulations? I
posed this very question to Bob Wander this last weekend at
out CFIG refresher clinic and he said he would look into it.
When I hear from him, I will post a note here.

On the bigger issue, what justifiable public purpose is
served by denying qualified private pilots from towing for
compensation? I don't see any in the accident stats and the
original purpose of the prohibition was to limit economic
competition for commercial pilots under the FAA's "foster
air commerce " clause. Safety was not the issue.

In the old days, prior to the rewrite the SSA had an
exemption, much like the data plate exemption, that allowed
towing by private pilots for compensation by SSA chartered
clubs. (Up to that point, compensation, as defined by the
FAA, included the logging of time even if the pilot was not
paid.)

The rewrite in 1997(?) of Part 61 was supposed to eliminate
the need for the towing exemption. All they did was further
confuse the issue.

Pete

--

Peter D. Brown