Old July 31st 05, 11:09 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
ups.com...
How did you find out about this if you just got home? I'd think you
would need to get your statement before discovering the error . . .

There are any number of ways a person could learn of an unexpected charge on
their credit card prior to a statement being mailed to them. Online
statements, credit card company calling to follow-up, checking one's balance
by phone, etc.

I think it's highly unlikely the original poster will ever see that $150
again. Unless he happens to find just the right forum, AND the person who
filled up recognized they did so on someone else's card, AND that person
actually feels like paying up.

I think the first criteria is unlikely, the second HIGHLY likely, and the
third unlikely. I'm not aware of any single forum that any very large
proportion of the pilot population reads. Even AOPA Pilot is read by only
roughly half the pilots in the US.

The second criteria seems very likely to me. The self-serve pumps have an
involved process to pay for and pump gas. Anyone pumping gas on someone
else's card would simply skip all that, and would certainly notice doing so.

The third criteria seems especially unlikely. After all, someone dishonest
enough to notice that they are pumping gas on someone else's card, but not
go ahead and cancel out the transaction and start their own, that kind of
person isn't going to pay up later. They're just a jerk, and are probably
laughing about how they screwed someone else over.

All of the above is conjecture, of course. But I think it's more likely
than not to be reasonably accurate conjecture.

Pete