Old September 14th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Garmin 600

On 14-Sep-2006, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

That's actually an amazing deal when you consider all it replaces. It
would probably cost you more than that just to replace all your gyros,
radio, GPS, etc

Except that (as I read the article in Flying Magazine) the G600 does not
actually include a GPS. It requires inputs from a "compatible navigator"
which would typically be a GNS 430 or -530 (and might include others -- I
don't know). If you don't already have one of these you can add another
$7-8K to the price to make the G600 fully functional. It also does not
appear to include any com or nav radios, or a transponder. Of course, the
numbers quoted in this thread may include the navigator and other radios,
but I kind of doubt it. In any case, the G600 is intended for aftermarket
retrofit, and existing planes that are candidates for this high-end goody
most likely already have a full compliment of avionics.

-Elliott Drucker