Old December 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Gary Drescher

"kage" wrote in message
The US broke the Japanese secret code very early in the war. Because of
that it was known that there were many Japanese spies were in the US.

It would have been impossible to round up just the spies, without giving
up the secret that we knew the code. Thus they were all interred. No other
way to do it.

1) What evidence do you have that cracked Japanese codes revealed the
identities of spies? 2) If their identities were known, wouldn't standard
practice have been to feed false information to some, while capturing others
(without disclosing the grounds for suspicion), depending on which approach
was more advantageous in particular instances? 3) If their identities were
known, why were they not captured in the course of the supposedly
obfuscatory internment? No one else would know that they weren't just
interned in some other camp. 4) If their identities were known, why were
they not prosecuted after the war? 5) Even in retrospect, is there any
documentation of espionage or sabotage by specific Japanese Americans? 5) It
is axiomatic that there will be some spies, including people who just
sympathize with the enemy's cause. Why not intern Americans of German or
Italian ancestry too? Their heritage may not be as physically conspicuous,
but it would be possible to identify many nonetheless--so why not, by your
reasoning, intern those whose German or Italian ancestry was known, or
suspected? At least some of them would probably be spies.

I have a feeling their rationale at the time was not all that far from
what yours is today, and just as meaningful

We should do the same today.

So you're openly advocating that we start rounding up and interning millions
of Americans of certain religious or ethnic groups today. (This time, the
internment would presumably be permanent, since the "war on terror" will not
end in just a few years.) Just out of curiosity, would the resulting civil
war really make you feel safer? (You do realize that a huge portion of our
population would take up arms if necessary to defend our Constitution
against such an odious subversion, right?) Or are you one of those people
who actually try to promote an apocalypse, hoping to be rewarded in an
afterlife?

--Gary