Old August 4th 14, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default First soaring flight to exceed 1,000 kilometers

On Saturday, August 2, 2014 1:12:15 PM UTC-5, Roy Clark, "B6" wrote:
For many years, I enjoyed tales about Al Parker and the Odessa gang from Harry Miltner (he's the guy who built the motor Mosquito using a salvaged Pik-20E system). I hope Diane and Steve would produce a book about Al in the style of that about Wally Scott.

Soaring Lore is made up of fact and enhanced fact. Let me see if I can "enhance" or maybe just not remember some correctly, as I wasn't there.

Bob Bowden told the tale of one of Al's retreives in which Al was surprised by his crew getting to his motel and waking him up in the middle of the night (3 or 4 AM, as I recall the story). They (pilot and crew) had agreed that crew would stop and spend the night somewhere in route. But, the crew was too young to be permitted to sign in as a guest at any motel along the route, so they just kept driving until they got there.

How about some more stories here?

Steve Leonard