Old July 15th 03, 03:30 AM
JimC

"Rochat" wrote in message

I have heard that Signtronics hat not a not a lot of audio power and
you have to push the levels to compensate + the Vox circuit is not
very precise, what is your opinion on those two points, did you
notice any differences form the SPA-400 ?

The SCI-4S has no problem driving my headsets. I actually keep the volume
turned down fairly low to keep the sound from getting too loud. The music
input devices control their own volume, driven through an amplifier in the
ICS, and also have no problem generating plenty of volume to the headsets.
I find that the volume settings for the portable MP3 players my wife and
daughter have are about the same whether using the factory supplied headsets
or when plugged into the SCI-4S driving the aviation headsets (maybe a
slightly higher setting due to the extra background noise in the plane).

As for the Vox, it performs quite well. I'd expect some difference between
the PS Eng and the Sigtronics unit on Vox as the PS Eng unit dynamically
adjusts to account for changes in background noise. There are probably some
situations where that's a benefit, but in a 30 hour 10-leg xcountry I just
finished I don't think I ever re-adjusted the Vox settings.

As for Vox operation and active mikes, I think only the mike that has broken
the Vox is active and the others are not "live". A quick check of the
information on the Sigtronics website should confirm this.

I am really quite pleased with the ICS and believe it is a great value.

JimC