Old January 23rd 05, 07:50 AM
Hilton

Paul Missman wrote:

I did my training in high wings, and then purchased a low wing after
training.

Though I could go back to a high wing if I had to, I wouldn't want to.

My reasons are as follows:

You don't have to get a ladder to put gas in the tank.

Well, most high-wings I fly do not require a ladder, but I agree low wings
are better for this; i.e. putting gas in AND verifying the gas level.

You don't loose sight of the airport during turns in the pattern.

I fully agree AND you can see during turns to avoid mid-airs.

Much less susceptable to crosswind effects. It is much harder for the
crosswind to get under the wing, and flip it over, with the wing nearer to
the ground.

Why does the ground change anything? Also, low wings generally have more
dihedral which would make low wings more susceptable.

Not as susceptable to launching itself into the air during flare if the
landing is a bit hot. (Though this will also vary somewhat with the
aircraft under comparison.)

What does the high-wing/low-wing have anything to do with this?

More stable during taxi operations on windy days.

If this was really a deciding factor, I would seriously start being more
critical of my go/no-go decisions.

Better forward visibility in flight and during flare. (This will, also,
vary with the models under comparison.)