Old February 25th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default New IFR Currency requirements...!

On 02/25/07 11:18, Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:49:03 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:

I suppose 50 miles is somewhat arbitrary, but it seems to me that the whole
point here is to get people away from their familiar home environment. If
taking two 50 mile flights twice a year is a hardship, I don't understand
what people are doing with their ratings.

You'd think actually using the rating would at least meet the minimum
currency requirements.

The currency requires actual or simulated IMC. Actual IMC may be hard to
come by in some areas, so you're left with simulated (and the safety
pilot which that requires).

You could fly IFR every day, yet still need to get a safety pilot and
do the currency every six months.

I'm not so sure I'd want to fly with someone who continually was
worried about flying just enough to stay legally current.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA