Old December 9th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Hawkins

Default Digital Paper displays

If you want to pay $3000 you can buy one of the prototype kits from
E-Ink (display maker). It is a fully functional system running a
version of Linux. You might be able to then run Cumulus
(http://www.kflog.org/cumulus/). It's he only soaring app that I know
of that runs under linux.

Later!

-Mark
Clint wrote:
Roger Worden wrote:
In the current issues of aviation magazines, there are ads for eFlyBook.
This device contains various flight documents for power pilots, but the
interesting part is the use of a "digital paper" display. Other than retail
store signs, this is the first commercial use of digital paper that I have
seen. Digital paper is a technology that uses tiny rotating beads, black on
one side and white on the other, electrostatically rotated, forming a
non-volatile, non-luminous display. The upside is that it is clearly visible
in full sunlight! The downside is that right now DP is limited to
monochrome. I am hoping that the PDA makers will someday produce a DP-based
unit, which might eventually be useful with SeeYouMobile, WinPilot and the
like. It's really hard to see the display on my HP IPAQ in the cockpit, even
though the one I selected was recommended as one of the most visible. I did
some searching and did not find any hints of such a product yet.

Anyone have more information?

Colour is overated in the cockpit. Far prefer my monochrome palm
running soaringpilot to my colour ipaq running seeyou mobile

Clinton
Lak 12