Old April 17th 20, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Record height for a winch launch?

New people always ask about release altitudes. The more relevant question is the rate of launches. We learn to fly and gain proficiency through repetition, we gain altitude in thermals. Ever ask the guy doing pattern work in a 172 how high he got?

Right on, Doug!
Another question I get from just about everyone who learns that there are hardly any single drum winches in Europe but most of them have two or even up to six drums: Wow - isn't that a bit close to launch that many gliders so close to each other? [insert the sound the little birdie makes when it comes out of the clock here]

Uli
'AS'