Old April 7th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default UAVs - a growing midair concern?

Hi, Mike,

Your previous thread's points regarding control unreliability, system
expense and grabbing of airspace are well taken. But I was aiming at a
different question than you we what can we glider pilots do to
protect ourselves, given that UAV use is increasing and is now
encroaching into unexpected areas like forests?

I'm gratified to learn that the new Predators have transponders - at
least someone might have a fighting chance with a PCAS. But I'm really
doubting that a 4 pound MTOW UAV will have a transponder! Even if the
damn thing doesn't get above 250 feet, if we don't know that it's
being used and it doesn't have a transponder some ridge runner might
be in for a real unpleasant surprise.

Are there some FAA regulations that govern the use of UAVs?

-John

On Apr 7, 1:02 pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
John:

You obviously missed my earlier thread on this subject. In the first
test along the Arizona/Mexico border, operators lost control of a
Predator, which then autonomously flew north out of control. Tucson
air space was shut down, but fortunately, the errant UAV turned south
before crashing in the back yard of a farmhouse near Nogales.
Predators (or at least their control systems) have not been known for
their reliability.

Many of us are concerned, not just for the incursion on our airspace,
but by the use of horrendously expensive and unreliable technologies.
The Predator unmanned programs are much more expensive than the manned
aircraft they are replacing and many of us are unconvinced they will
be cost effective.

Ground-based solutions can be deployed - how about a fence, vibrations
sensors, tower-mounted cameras. All cheaper and more effective.

However, budgets have been allocated to buy more Predators for both
the Mexican and Canadian borders. At least they have transponders so
you can see them coming!

Mike