Old April 15th 04, 03:56 PM
Roger Long

Quite right. However our 172 N did not come with EGT as standard equipment.
The "lean to rough, enrich till smooth" I was taught in primary training
(and used for the first couple of years when our EGT didn't work) ends up
about 50 ROP on our engine if you do it quickly and without carb heat. It
was sloppy of me to call it a Lycoming recommendation.

--
Roger Long
Ron Rosenfeld wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:34:30 GMT, "Roger Long"
om wrote:

The greatest stress on the engine will be at 50 ROP
which is where Lycoming says to run it.

I am asuming, since your email suggests that you are US based, that you

are
talking degrees Farenheit. I agree that 50°F ROP is a bad place to run

the
engine.

Which engine does Lycoming say to run 50°F ROP? Lycoming does NOT make
that recommendation for the O360 series of engines.

In my Lycoming O360 series engine manual, the recommendations for normally
aspirated engines a

1. Full Rich for take-off, climb and maximum cruise powers (above
75% power), with a caveat to lean just to a smooth running engine for
take-off from a high-elevation airport or during climb.

2. Maximum Power cruise (75% power): 150°F on the rich side of
peak EGT.

3. Best Economy cruise (below 75% power): operate at peak EGT

For turbocharged engines:

1. Best Economy Cruise: Lean to peak TIT or 1650°F, whichever
occurs first.

2. Maximum Power Cruise: 125°F on the rich side of the temperature
determined in step 1 (peak TIT vs 1650°F).

Certain "airframe" manufacturers may have different recommendations in
their POH's, and those take precedence. But, even though Lycoming states
that a manufacturer's POH takes precedence, that's a far cry from stating
that "Lycoming" says to run the engine at 50°F ROP.