Old January 26th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Intercepting the ILS

Roy Smith wrote:

wrote:

Yesterday I was out getting an IPC. We were doing the Stockton, CA
ILS. ATC had us intercepting the localizer at 2000 feet. The
altitude for glideslope interception is 1800 ( underlined ).
[...]
The new CFII criticized this procedure and told me that the plate
specified 1800, and it was wrong to intercept at 2000.

I can't see any reason not to intercept at 2000. I think your new guy
is full of it.

As a matter of regulation, the G/S is to be used as primary vertical
guidance only from the PFAF inbound. There are some places, where early
use of the G/S has resulted in airspace violations, LAX being the most
notable.

In the case cited, the CFI is nitpicking but is nonetheless legally correct.