Old July 2nd 04, 01:59 AM
Paul M. Cordell

When it was time to replace the 14 inch tires, I decided to try to
address some of the scary towing issues. The original 3.5X14 inch tires
had very tall sidewalls with very little lateral stability. Any side
loads would cause alot of swaying of the trailer.

In researching my options, I discovered that my particular Cobra trailer
had the same bolt pattern as an early Honda Civic. It was just as
cost effective to consider aftermarket wheels and tires. I found a
local aftermarket shop that had a huge selection of wheels and tires.
I took the trailer to their shop and was able to try on a couple of
different combos. Ultimately, I ended up with a 17X7 inch wheel that
effectively doubled the lateral contact patch and reduced the sidewall
height by more than half.

It is the most stable trailer I have ever towed. Last weeks trip to
Parowan featured a 20+ mph 90 degree crosswind. The trailer never
swayed!!

The Ad for the '27 and Photos of the Wheels can be found @
http://www.asa-soaring.org/aco/pc.asp