Old July 13th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On 07/13/2018 09:13 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also.

I am assuming thoug that logs from the GPS-NAV would need to be submitted in .cai format. When I look at the flight in both igc and cai format in SeeYou I get a 'Flight integrity: Unknown?'. But when I check the cai file back in Aero Explored it says it is valid.

Thanks again.

I haven't flown badges or records for many years, so not sure what
they're doing today with a GPS-NAV. Back in the day, you submitted both
the .cai and .igc files. Kinda silly, since the .cai file was the only
one with real security. Anybody could generate an ersatz .igc from .cai.

Try to find the DOS program VALI-CAM.exe as the best test of security.
Maybe Aero Explorer just uses that, or a related .DLL. Likely does.
Guy would know.

Three different ways to have bad files:

1) electronic seal on GPS-NAV could be broken, likely due to dead
battery internally. Or somebody changed the battery w/o keeping the
unit powered up.

2) date could be off.

3) data could be corrupt for other reasons, with bad crc

Good luck.

-Dave