Old March 17th 16, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Shameless update from Dale Kramer

I sure appreciate all the comments here and definitely dont want hijack this thread, dale your concept is definitly interesting, and at the very least the engineering study regarding the vstol portion of this project is a helpfull excercise and I am sure will be coming our way from other developers in the future.
As to flarm and other anti collision systems, my point has been that these systems create a detrimental false sense of security. I have experience flying gliders in three very conjested airspace areas, las vegas nv, minden/reno and pensacola. The key to each of these areas was EYEBALL awareness. As a commercial pilot, I never fully trust air traffic control or anti collision hardware, i trust situational awareness period.
The second aspect has to do with freedom. If you want a european type air traffic control system, then keep laying down when federal or association dictated mandates are being proposed, always under the unbrella of "safety". Your freedom to fly will dissapear or be economically handicapped. Reality is, the skies are no more crowded today than they were 10 years ago. That is a myth being propogated by the faa. The exact situation was encountered by derick piggot years ago in UK when their fed agency was expanding airspace restrictions and shutting down gliderports. Thank God he and others stood up and didnt take the governmental over reach laying down.