Old November 28th 16, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default FLARM - No GPS

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 14:34:15 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

Good thought about the SD card; it is/was not write protected. To
verify, I deleted everything in it (after saving to my hard drive),
reinserted it into the PF, took it out side, froze my butt off, powered
it up, and waited. No joy...

Before shutting it down I created a diagnostic dump file which can be
looked at HERE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbf2xgoij6kb98r/PFP00960.DMP?dl=0 if you
know how.

I don't, so ignored it.

I also copied the log file to my drop box HERE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/typrd4dz1a4g69t/PFP00960.TXT?dl=0. Reading
it, it appears that the unit talked with the GPS and everything was OK,
but it never received any satellites. That makes no sense unless
there's a problem with the internal GPS antenna or circuit wiring.

I think the clue is right at the end of the log:

00336.753 ERROR Insufficient supply voltage, shutting down
00336.754 ERROR Battery type: alkaline
00336.754 ERROR Battery voltage: 4.28
00336.755 ERROR External supply voltage: 0.00

...which looks as though the PF was running on an internal backup battery
because the external power was off or disconnected. However, the internal
alkaline battery (4.5v nominal?) seems to be rather old since it only
supplied 4.28v and the PF shut down due to low voltage.

From what that diagnostic log shows I think that if you replace the
alkaline batteries (not essential but a good idea anyway) and try again
with external power connected, the PF should work.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK