Old April 27th 05, 10:38 PM
bdl

Thanks, but camping isn't going to be an option. Bringing my father
along and he simple won't camp without enough alcholic beverages and
food that the plane would break the landing gear. Not to mention the
cot, folding chair, generator, etc.

Since we're staying in Birmingham, if weather is iffy I think we'll
drive. So assuming that its VFR, it doesnt seem like there's much
issue other than mountain flying near nightfall. Since birmingham is
only a 15 minute flight I'm not as concerned about that as I might be
in other circumstances.

Our seats are actually about 2/3's the way up in one of the towers
(near the finish line), based on the website we should be able to see
the back stretch, but maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't matter much to me. Just
being at the track is usually the enjoyment for me. And flying down
there of course. I didn't do the seat selection.

I had to startup to get to the hard surface road used as a taxiway in
the grass area. Then we pushed the aircraft 1/4-mile to the runway,

then
half-way up the taxiway (1/2-mile) before climbing aboard and taxiing
for awhile until takeoff. We actually watched some aircraft ahead of

us
keep their engine turning the entire time.

How long did that process take? I can't imagine pushing my airplane
3/4 of a mile! Maybe if it was downhill! What do you fly?

Luckily, I'll have plenty of fuel for my destination, so taxiing a long
time shouldnt be a problem other than heat management.

Thanks for your suggestions!