Old January 26th 05, 09:10 AM
Jürgen Exner

I am a sailor and not an airline pilot.

Recently I had a lunch with a 747 captain and the subject of
polar airline routes came up.

I maintained I didn't think any commercial routes went directly over
the pole or north of 80 N.Lat because the great circle routes from
say San Francisco to London didn't go that far north.

He said they did indeed fly much further north on such a route
due to prevailing winds etc.... It still seems incredible that this
is true because the normal position of the North Polar Jet is
considerably below 60 N.Lat.

Anyhow how would a London-Seattle route go?

Kopenhagen-Seattle regularly hits from 70 to at least 75 degrees N.

In short, are there any commercial routes flying over 90 North?

The traditional polar routes are Europe - Fairbanks/Anchorage and Europe -
Japan.

jue