Old January 29th 05, 07:23 PM
Ogden Johnson III

But that is an opportunity to ask - what is the real difference between
F/A-18C-operating VFA (Strike Fighter Squadron) and F/A-18A/B-flying
VFC (Fighter Squadron Composite)? Those names itself for me don't tell
the difference... The aircraft is basically the same... And there were
several adversary squadrons in the past that wore simple VF or VFA
designations... VFA-201 and VFA-204 also sometimes perform as
adversary, but they are still VFAs...

VFA-201 and VFA-204's primary mission is strike, even if they do
provide the odd adversary mission from time to time.

VFC-12's primary mission is as a Composite squadron, which
involves providing adversaries as a part of that mission.

As to your redesignation question, The USN/NavAir would look at
the lineages involved, and decide which one would be the "best"
choice to pass on to a redesignated VFC-12. IOW, speculate away,
the Navy will do what it pleases if/when the issue is at hand..
--
OJ III