Old August 6th 18, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

At 13:47 06 August 2018, kirk.stant wrote:
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:10:19 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I also experienced recently slow takeoffs in my fully ballasted 29

which=
felt very uncomfortable. The yaw string was all over the place often
showi=
ng skidding. I am noticing it more in my 18m 29 than my 27, perhaps since
t=
he wing loading is higher, or due to more adverse yaw. Seems like 70

knots
=
should be the minimum, preferably 75 knots.=20
=20
Ramy

From a glider pilot (who has BTDT) and a current towpilot - the answer is
s=
imple, if not always effective: ALWAYS establish comms with the tow pilot
b=
efore the tow (satisfies the FAR requirement for a pilot to pilot
briefing)=
.. If you (or the tow plane) do not have working radios, get face to

face
w=
ith the tuggie and TELL HIM what speed to fly - that is YOUR
responsibility=
..

Once on tow, if the tow starts to slow down - TELL HIM ON THE RADIO TO
SPEE=
D UP! That's why you have the darn thing! Then, if the tow continues to
get=
dangerously slow (when you can't stay above the wake) and radio or wing
ro=
cks do not solve the problem, release (assuming you are high enough for a
s=
afe PTT) and get face to face with the tow pilot when he lands and

explain
=
the problem, nicely. Especially with tow pilots that are not also glider
pi=
lots, they REALLY may not understand what is going on at the back end of
th=
e rope!

Most tow pilots really want to give you a good tow, but feedback can be
rar=
e; take the time to debrief you tow pilot if anything unusual happens on
to=
w, and when possible brief and practice emergencies on tow - visual
signals=
(both glider and towplane), simulated tow plane engine failure, glider
div=
e brakes open, etc. Makes the tow more interesting than just a drag
around=
the local area waiting for 3000' AGL to appear on the clock...

Agree entirely about this. Talk to the tug pilot before you start.

I'm a new tuggie but have been gliding for 50 years. I want to give people
good tows. But if you don't let me know what you want then I won't feel
that bad if you don't get it.

Talking on the way up is all very well but we have to coordinate with the
tower before take off and it may take a while before I change back to the
gliding frequency.

It's sad how many people think that there's no need to talk to the tuggie.

Chris