Old August 9th 18, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Forum for new Glider Pilots

Good advice about a mentor.Â* If you can find an experienced XC pilot
with a ship of similar performance to yours and who is willing to take
you by the hand and lead you around a course, you're golden.Â* I was
fortunate that I found someone with the same ship that I had when I was
new and he lead me out to surf the leading edge of a cold front.Â* What a
revelation it was to get away from the field!

Ask questions as much as you can.Â* I recall asking a woman who, on a
practice day before a small weekend contest, had completed the task
before I was half way down the first leg, "How did you fly so fast?"Â*
She simply said, "Don't spend so much time climbing."Â* Again that was
great advice and, following it, I finished in first place in the Sports
Class for that contest.

Read, observe, and ask questions, and then, starting small at first,
extend your range and, before long, you'll be soaring great distances.Â*
It'll change your life.

On 8/8/2018 11:51 PM, 2G wrote:
This forum is SUPPOSED to be about that, but degenerates into back-biting all to often. I recommend starting by reading some good reference books. For starters, you can get the FAA's handbook for free at:
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...h-8083-13a.pdf
Then, I recommend reading Reichman's books:
https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Sailpl.../dp/B0006E1VSK
https://www.amazon.com/Cross-country.../dp/B0006CU278
These books are out of print, but used copies are available.
I don't know where you are located, but I strongly recommend that you find an experienced glider pilot mentor with whom you can discuss specific topics in detail. Unfortunately, forums are not very good at this, and can actually be counter-productive. Send me a private email with your phone and I am happy to discuss this further off-line.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J