Old August 11th 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default Flying with Parachutes

I am kind of unique. I have a lot of power time, like 20,000 hours. Maybe 50 hours in gliders. I also have sport parachute experience. My 5th static line jump the static line failed. I can go on and on with that story but the bottom line is I learned a lot from it.

Here’s my take on parachutes. Almost every primary glider has provisions for them. My glider club has a sufficient amount for whoever wants to wear one. My training with the parachute has taught me that an emergency chute will save you at 200’ at terminal velocity. So you can actually get out on a pattern altitude shot. You would need to make an immediate decision and pull the rip cord as soon as you got away from the ship or when you saw the ground rushing up at you. I rarely wore a parachute doing primary training but religiously wear it in my private ship. It’s up to the individual on wearing one but it’s your life to decide on........