Old October 13th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

Default Cessna 150 annual costs

"Anonymous Pilot" wrote in message
I'm, posting anonymous as I don't want identify the maintenance shop
involved.

I own a later model Cessna 150. My last few annuals have been on the
high side and I got quite the whopper for this year. I'm wondering if
my mechanic is fleecing me or if airplane is falling apart. I bought
a 150 since it was supposed to be one of the less expensive aircraft
to own and fly, but at this rate I think I'm better just to finance a
brand new aircraft.

2002 - bought with 5000 AFTT, 5500 ETT, 0 SMOH (original engine
suffered failure back in the 80s)

This is just my annual bills and doesn't include IFR/avionics
repairs/testing.

2003 $500
2004 $600
2005 $3600 (current mechanic to present), don't have breakdown
2006 $3500 don't have breakdown
2007 $5400 $1300 parts, $4400 labor
2008 $2300 $300 parts, $2000 labor
2009 $7600 $2100 parts, $5700 labor, replaced rudder

There is no other authorized mechanic at my field, and most people
based on the field have the $500-in-your-own-hangar annual. I wrote
the earlier years off as finding things missed by the previous annuals
and assumed the cost was going back down (as 2008 seemed almost
normal).

I also noticed that I was charged labor for opening the access panels,
I thought that would have been included in the flat rate that is also
charged.

Major repairs outside annual:

Late 2003 replaced both mags @ $1500
Late 2004 replaced a cylinder @ $1500
Late 2005 replaced attitude indicator @ $1500

For those curious, add $8000 in avionics repairs since 2002.

So find a new mechanic or find a new airplane?

Don't know about "your" location or airplane but I will tell you of my
ownership.
Purchased a C150 in 2000 and have 9 years ownership experience.

Never an annual over $250.00 (owner assisted ie: remove seats, panels
etc.
Insurance $650.00 / year
Radio Replacement $1200.00
New ELT $300.00
New Tires $275.00
New AI $400.00

Original Price for C150F with new paint / interior Over Time engine
$12,000.00
Complete overhaul on engine $11.500.00 in year 2000 right after
purchase.

Total initial output $23,500.00. I have approx 720 hours since
purchased.

Hope this helps you decide a proper course of action.

Terry N6401F