Old March 2nd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ira Blieden

Default Cobra Trailer - U.S. Axle?

Al-Ko has a data plate on the axle. You can find it on the rear left
side (when looking toward the front) of the axle.

Ira

Chip Bearden wrote:
I've seen it done both ways. I prefer replacing the factory parts
rather than swapping a U.S. axle. Even using a new U.S.-made axle with
electric or hydraulic brakes, you almost certainly lose the mechanical
surge brake's handbrake feature.

I've ordered from the factory (the trailer maker, not Al-Ko), from
U.S. dealers (e.g., Eastern Sailplane), and from U.S. equipment
suppliers (e.g., Wings & Wheels). Be advised that there's enough
variation from one trailer to the next even among the same
manufacturer that it can be worrisome. I assume the trailer
manufacturers such as Spindelberger and Aschau know what part numbers
were installed on which trailers over the years. Anyone have any
experience with this?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"