Old August 12th 09, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Bamberg

Default xcsoar

I've recently started using XCSoar with an HP Ipaq 310 and really like
the layout of the LK8000 version.

As previously noted: if you are just begining to use the software on a
PNA device, first install the standard 5.2.2 into an SD card and then
copy the 5.2.3F files onto the same SD card. This insures that the
requisite DLL files are installed. This process IS described on the
bware.com site but not on the XCSoar.org site.

The software is evolving so rapidly that it's very tough to keep up
with the enhancements, especially in the PNA version of the software.
You really need to join the user maillist and get the details as they
are released.

As for the data files; There is a terrain generation page that works
very well IF you use an uploaded turnpoint file. Go to the turnpoint
exchenge and get the standard set for your area of interest.
Cambridge format, save it somewhere you can find it easily. Then go
to the terrain generator page and upload the file using that option on
the starting page. It will ask if you want to add an additional
boundary area around the coordinate set, I use 25KM in addition to the
area the program selects. Start the process and STAY on the status
page until the process is complete. You will get a link to a zip file
that contains all the data you need for your area of turnpoints.

I've probably left out something, but that's the way I remember
getting it all set up.

Mike